Monday 19 May 2008

Jennifer Marie Bryan

I wouldn’t technically call myself an artist. Sometimes I dabble in textiles, sometimes I experiment with paint, and I like to use the computer on occasion too. My work is quite character based. Usually featuring some sort of monster with six arms, four eyes and weird tribal markings. So you could say I’m more a mad-scientist. I’m inspired by faces in the carpet, mythology, odd shaped vegetables, nature, alien cultures and humans. Shape and pattern are important to me, and I enjoy customising forgotten or disused objects, so that they can be admired and loved again. Humour is a key element in my work, and my favourite canvass is the blank unattended post-it-note.
I have yet to finish university, but this hasn’t stopped me from selling and exhibiting my work around the world. My most recent exhibition took place at Open Space gallery in New York, where I took part in the ‘Tote Bag’ project. (http://openspace.bscientific.irg/) The project was funded by Hudson River Sloop Clearwater and was commissioned to encourage the use of reusable carrier bags.
I am also working in my spare time for Nottingham artist Jon Burgerman, who is a great influence, teacher, tradesman and friend. He introduced me to a whole new world of mural painting, toy making and animation. But he also introduced me to the kettle, bubble wrap and many, many postage stamps. Thank you Jon
For the Cover Versions exhibition I simply bought a record from the nearest charity shop, listened to the music, then reacted to it through the medium of paint and marker pens. The record I selected was Beethoven’s 1st and 2nd symphony, so I created something quite energetic, loud and powerful. Yes it’s pink, but it’s a power pink! The two characters I drew feature in my work often, and I felt they would be most suited to this project due to their outlandish personalities.

No comments: